food for thought... dictionary.com says design is:
- the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan); "he contributed to the design of a new instrument"
- an arrangement scheme; "the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"; "it was an excellent design for living"; "a plan for seating guests"
- something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt" [syn: blueprint]
- a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
- an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs" [syn: purpose]
- a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something; "the design of a building"
- the creation of something in the mind [syn: invention]