By David Butcher: Pedal Power Can Lower Your Electric Bill By 10% source
"I know what you are thinking. It's impossible to pedal enough electricity to reduce your electric bill by 10%!
Take the 10% Challenge. Follow these steps to cut 867,000 Watt-hours off your annual electric bill:
- Start with a pedal generator (of course!).
- Add an Inverter - 12 Volt DC to 110 Volt AC (or 220 Volt AC for non-US use)
- Add a WattsUp Meter - not absolutely needed, but I feel it's worth it.
- Add an Ultracapacitor - also not absolutely needed but you will be glad you did...
- Add a power strip, and plug it into the Inverter.
- Then - UNPLUG every battery charger/rechargeable device in your house, and plug them ALL into the power strip connected to the Inverter instead. Your goal is to collect enough devices to require a total of 100 Watts.
- Now Ride!!
Believe it or not, if you ride every day to keep the devices charged, and you ELIMINATE them from you electric bill, you will cut your annual electric use by 867 kWh and lower your electric bill! Take a look at your most recent bill for electricity. That's a lot.
Too good to be true? Here is the math:
100 Watts * 24 Hours * 365 Days = 867,000 Watt-hours
And don't worry, you won't have to ride for hours every day to reduce your electric bill. Most of those devices would probably be quite happy being charged only 10-20 minutes a day, or even less.
There - I challenge you! Cut your electric bill, get in shape, and have a nice emergency power source when you need it!
There's more... Pedaling will keep you warm. Pedal in the morning, just after you get up. Don't turn on your heat until AFTER you finish your workout. You will be amazed as you save 10% on your heating bill as well!