• By the Numbers.

    Communication

    Some interesting facts about e-waste in Africa...

    • 50 million tons of old PCs are thrown away each year on waste dumps where they pose a pollution threat to the environment and its people.

    • About 400,000 computers and monitors arrive in shipping containers each month to the port of Lagos, Nigeria. This is excluding other forms of electronic equipment such as cell phones, microwaves, etc.

    • Only 25% of that amount is repairable for resale. The other 75% ends up in waste dumps and burned.

    • While the typical African lives off of about $2 a day, a small bundle of cables and wires can bring them about $5, which is why this is such a prominent industry despite its effects on health.

Leave a Response

Fields marked * are required


No file selected (must be a .jpg, .png or .gif image file)


Once published, you will have 15 minutes to edit this response.

Cancel