My mission statement is to develop the awareness of inequality and increase the survival skills for young rural migrants to live in urban city of China.
Cause of Issue The cause of discrimination between rural migrants and urban citizens in China are government’s policy and the hukou system. Such system result rural migrants’ citizens not been able to receive health care, equal educations, employee opportunities and more. Although rural migrants are able to “temporary” stay in the city bases on current policies in China, they are still illegal to work and obtain equal educations. At same time, however, the hukou system is very important for China government to monitor and control their labor resources and distribution; to strengthen the growth within urban city and restricts rural people to compete with urban people for the limited job resources.
- My target users are low income rural-to-urban migrants age 15 between 25 in Beijing.
- Many of them move into city as single, without family.
- They either get into city through temporary residential permit, got into City University, or married with lower class of urban citizens.
- They might consider as illegal workers (street vendors, illegal labor consulting services), or labors for lowest job class (factories and construction site).
- They have basic educations that are higher than rural citizens, yet lower than urban citizens.
- They either paid extra tuition for their children’s educations, or their children didn’t attend/drop out from schools.
- Most of them do not have health care.
- Their income is higher than rural households, yet only 1/6 of urban household income.
- Rural migrants in city usually remittance to families in rural region of their origin. They account 20% of rural household income.
The challenge is to design for rural migrants and support them to live legally in the urban city, at same time, does not go against with China’s current social policies and hukou system.
- Educational devices that improve teenagers’ test score, which will increase the possibility for them to get into university in urban city.
- Teach and demonstrate to young working migrants the importance of the law and how it can affect their rights.
- Devices for young female migrant to adopt the basic computer skills and expend their career in city.
- Sketches will be scan after class on Monday
I wish the method of distribution of product could increase the awareness of inequality between migrants and local citizens. However, such method is depends on the solution of my thesis. The design should be low cost and made locally in China.
In order to test my design, I might have to find any kind of migrants’ organization in NYC that has similar education background as my target group.
NFO Partnership Status
- UNICEF – not willing to corroborate
- AIGA XCD – directs me to people that could give useful feedback of thesis
- KID FOR TOMORROW INC. – seems stop providing any activities for their mission
- COMPASSION FOR MIGRANT CHILDREN – does not response to me
- The Migration Policy Institute – has a lot of resource that only focus on local migration
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund – Reply that that they only focus on Asian American immigration
- Coalition for Asian American Children and Families – Same as above
- Chinese-American Planning Council - Same as above
- Asian Americans for Equality – Same as above
Shifting my target group to young adults and find organizations relate to migration and labor union.