Ever thought you could write with a plastic cup? Or even draw a line with a juice carton? Well the time is now here: Welcome to Remarkable, where UK waste is recycled and made into fun, exciting & innovative products.
Remarkable was set up by Edward Douglas Miller in 1996 who started to look at what could be made from UK recycled materials. Edward began by experimenting with plastic cups with the aim of trying to turn one plastic cup into a pencil. Why? Quite simply, because it had never been done before and it would prove to the world that one everyday, throwaway item that would usually go straight to landfill could instead, turn into a new product which was fun, functional and had a long second life.
Today Remarkable create recycled items that are well-designed, withhold great quality and are a joy to own. As well as their environmental credentials - all Remarkable products are made using only UK recycled materials. By highlighting what an item was in its previous life, the products illustrate what can be made with UK waste and certainly generates a positive interest in recycling and environmental issues. Using the fascination of what an item once was is a new and fun way of communicating the recycled message.
The principles of Remarkable (Pencils) Ltd's Environmental Activities include:
- To develop technology and provide products that will be sensitive to the earth's finite resources and environment through the use of recycled and sustainable materials.
- To promote energy-saving activities considering all aspects of the product's life cycle in order to minimize the environmental impact of raw materials and components whilst conserving natural resources through waste reduction and the use of recycled and sustainable materials and components.
- To endeavour to meet or exceed all applicable environmental and safety regulatory requirements.
- To promote waste minimization activities, giving preference to recycled or renewable sources wherever practicable.
- To promote continuous improvement and methods for improving manufacturing processes that minimize environmental impacts.
- To encourage environmental awareness to all employees so that environmental factors are considered in all decision-making processes.
In the heart of Worcestershire, the Remarkable Factory is busy turning UK waste into something Remarkable! Visit the Remarkable website and get your hands on some of the products. For any city dwellers, I know for a fact that Remarkable products are on sale at London’s Science Museum.