London College of Communication are hosting the New Views 2 Symposium and Exhibition this coming July, entitled "Conversations and Dialogue in Graphic Design". Although the call for papers is now closed, the conference registration is online and a call for poster submissions is underway.
"By facilitating large and smaller more focused groups of delegates, New Views 2, aims to identify the challenges we are currently facing in graphic design, but more importantly proposing potential ways forward."
The suggested themes that New Views 2 may cover:
- Problems of defining terminology: visual communication, communication design, graphic design, information environments.
- The role of graphic design for the ‘real world’.
- Graphic design and interdisciplinarity.
- Graphic design and research methods.
- Design writing/criticism and repositioning the debate.
- Practice-led PhD research in the field of graphic design.
- Responsive curriculums and shifting paradigms.
- Research, innovation and new critical thinking.
New Views 2 has asked for poster submissions that "through the use of graphic language, address the issues and the core themes of the conference and demonstrate the use of graphic design as a means to critique and reflect upon its future." Individuals or groups, Design students, Design Faculty and Professional Design Studio submissions were all welcome (more details on the website) and the selected works will be included in the traveling exhibition and/or the digital exhibition. It is only a shame the event is so expensive, but I do look forward to seeing the online exhibition later in the year.
Symposium: July 9 – 11, 2008. At London College of Communication, University of the Arts, London, UK.
Exhibition: 9 – 21 July 2008. Opens in London and then travels to RMIT, Australia. A digital exhibition will also be presented through the conference website.