If you have tons of time, read all the posts on Core77 about this conference...Really eye opening stuff.
I especially liked Allan Chochinov's rules:
- Acknowledge privilege: Being a designer does not give you the right to be a CRAP maker
- Use the word "consequence": Talk about the implications of your actions
- Question authority: Don't wait for permission
- Surround yourself with the awesomest people you can: Go to parties, drink wine, make friends
- Don't play fair: If making something gorgeous will get your clients on board, do it
- Be intentionally dumb: Start with the most obvious and ridiculous solutions
- Redistribute (then reduce reuse and recycle): Find materials that are already out there first
- Broaden your market: Think beyond your audience
- indulge discursive design: Do something that's wildly inappropriate 10 Talk to anyone who will listen: Get the word out
yes...so much to do...