PRESS DIGEST - Wall Street Journal - Oct 1
Oct 1 (Reuters) - The following are the top stories in the Wall Street Journal. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
- Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros Pictures has a new financial partner that will help fund most of its movie production for several years. The entity, RatPac-Dune Entertainment LLC, will pour $450 million into as many as 75 movies over four to five years, with a few high-profile exceptions. ()
- Cooper Tire & Rubber Co shareholders approved a $2.5 billion sale of the Ohio company to Apollo Tyres Ltd on Monday, clearing the way for what could become the largest U.S. acquisition by an Indian industrial firm. ()
- Yahoo Inc has agreed to pay unspecified damages and legal costs to settle a lawsuit filed by Singapore Press Holdings Ltd over copyright infringement, the two companies said Monday. ()
- Chevron Corp moved Monday to avoid a jury trial in its suit against a lawyer it accuses of fraud in a high-stakes legal battle over pollution in Ecuador's jungles. The firm said that if a federal judge tries the case, it will drop its claims for monetary damages against Steven Donziger, a lawyer who sued Chevron on behalf of an Ecuadorian plaintiff. ()
- U.S. private-equity firm KKR & Co LP is making its biggest ever bet on China, with an agreement to take a 10 percent stake in Qingdao Haier Co Ltd, to gain exposure to China's home appliances market. ()
- Britain's biggest drugmaker GlaxoSmi...