From upper left corner, clockwise
Bel-Air by Mathieu Lehanneur Indoor Natural Air purifier
- A medium sized body made of Pyrex glass and aluminum (white) encapsulates a living plant.
- A small fan extract clean air out of the capsule
- purifies polluted air with the leaves and roots of a plant, as well as the humid bath in which it is planted.
- A natural air purifier, but not necessarily eco friendly due to the use of material and parts (ie is the aluminum recycled? Is the fan really necessary?)
- seems awfully expensive for what is essentially a mobile greenhouse
- however, this concept is worth further studying because you integrates one of the most vital aspects of Mother Nature into a beautiful and sterile looking (in a good way) object.
Solar Harvesting Textiles
- soft, woven textile
- material: thin film photovoltaic
- acts as an organic solar panel; generates energy
- currently very expensive to produce, however it can be easily modified without a manufacturing process
I Bought a Shelter
- white waterproof tarp covering a bamboo structure
- size is customizable
- provides a temporary shelter to victims of the Sichuan Earthquake
- very effective in keeping the interior dry
- Bamboo is locally sourced
- Somewhat effective in helping the victims, but in a smaller scale due to the nature of the project
- cheap: about $75 depending on the shipping and handling of materials
- very expensive: most of the victims still can’t afford it on their own
Floating in a Sinking City
- large, boxy houses with solar-powered light poles
- When there is a flood, the houses will stay afloat above the liquid landscape
- there are RV-type “umbilical cords” that houses the water, electricity, sewage system, telephone, internet, and television cables, etc.
- solar-powered light poles
- a quixotic proposal that seems improbable (because of the scale of the project)
- worth further study and investigation (interesting direction and use of existing technology)
- unknown (this is a proposal)
- Since it would have to be a large scale project, I suspect the prices to be relatively high, but minute in comparison to how much it would cost to rebuild conventional houses.
- medium sized, portable toilet
- Holds solid waste for four people for 7 - 10 days
- the waste is then taken to a pre-determined, controlled area
- To empty the toilet, manually auger it into the soil, where the contents flow out of the cavity and into the soil for decomposition
- Helps areas where there is a lack of sanitation facilities
- Deals with relevant infections and diseases
- Cheap (not stated how much)
- it is mean for developing countries and refugee camps