I've posted this on my personal blog but thought it might be worth adding here. I love the way it causes me to think through my design decisions on multiple layers:
The last time you made something, did you ask 78 questions about it? With that many to go through, one can't help but pause and consider the impacts of design.
78 Reasonable Questions to Ask about Any Design by Stephanie Mills
- What are its effects on the health of the planet and of the person?
- Does it preserve or destroy biodiversity?
- Does it preserve or reduce ecosystem integrity?
- What are its effects on the land?
- What are its effects on wildlife?
- How much and what kind of waste does it generate?
- Does it incorporate the principles of ecological design?
- Does it break the bond of renewal between humans and nature?
- Does it preserve or reduce cultural biodiversity?
- What is the totality of its effects - it's "ecology"?
- Does it serve community?
- Does it empower community members?
- How does it affect our perception of our needs?
- Is it consistent with the creation of a communal, human economy?
- What are its effects on relationships?
- Does it undermine conviviality?
- Does it undermine traditional forms of community?
- How does it affect our way of scene and experiencing the world?
- Does it foster a diversity of forms of knowledge?
- Does it build on, or contribute to, the renewal of traditional forms of knowledge?
- Does it serve to commodify knowledge or relationships?
- To what extent does it rede...